Free $10

Join Strike and earn $10 when you sign up and verify your account using my referral code: BQANP2 ( https://invite.strike.me/BQANP2 )

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Google Chrome OS Pilot Program .... Yes the one from 2010

Last year, around Christmas time, I had a bit of a geeky "remember the good ol days" moment.  I remembered back to 2010, just a week or so before Christmas.  I was sitting there with my wife, and I noticed a package near the front door.  Since it was Christmas time, I was used to her ordering things so I asked "what did you get this time" and she said it wasn't hers.

Once I opened the box, there was another box inside with this strange picture on it.  Just in case you are wondering, yes I actually kept the original box all this time.



So next I wondered what I ordered, and I looked at the sides of the box.  I saw "S/N" so I figured ok it has to be something nice, then I saw "MEID" and the "ah ha" moment started to happen.  Back then, I don't think they were using the term Chromebook - they referred to this as a Chrome OS laptop I believe ( model number CR-48 ).

Once I opened the box up, and read the instructions.  The actual instruction flyer had some pretty funny statements mixed in with the real information as you can see in the pics below.  Here were some of the ones that made me laugh a bit:


"Read this paper.  Then recycle it
Or make it into a super cool paper airplane that you can give to your nephew"



"Do not expose the device to water, moisture or rap music".

"This product contains small parts which may present a chocking hazard to small children, as well as men who have not emotionally matured"




"This device includes a lithium-ion battery, as that whole cold fusion thing
hasn't been figured out yet."

So it has just been over 4 years that I have had the Chrome OS Laptop / Google Chromebook or as we call it "baby laptop".  Like many other items, over time you consider it a tool and use it when it is the right tool for the job.  Due to the very quick boot-up time, it is a great option for when you need to browse the web real quick.  For my teenage son, it works great for projects where he can do school projects in Google Documents or do research.

So where is my Chromebook now?  It isn't sitting packed away in the box unused or damaged.  It is on the charger, ready for use.  It is used weekly, primarily by my son for school work and research.  It isn't because he has a lack of options - he has both a Moto X phone and a Nexus 7 tablet but sometimes the Chromebook is the right tool for the job.

Frankly, I have to say that I am impressed that the laptop is still working.  I believe I have it on the dev or beta channel (not the stable one) and honestly I can't remember ever having any issues with it or ever having to force a re-install of the OS.

Of course you can't purchase this specific model new, but if I was able to get 4 years (and still going) out of the CR-48, I have to imagine that any current Chromebook you purchase should give you a few years of usable service without any maintenance headaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment