Free $10

Join Strike and earn $10 when you sign up and verify your account using my referral code: BQANP2 ( https://invite.strike.me/BQANP2 )

Saturday, August 22, 2020

MakerHawk (Keweisi) USB-C meter Review

I recently purchased a MakerHawk USB-C test meter ( back of the device says Keweisi model KWS-1802C ) for a product review. The device comes alone, no cables or anything which is fine.

I don’t know if the average user would have a need for such a device, but since I like to play around with technology and post on my blog I figured it would be a nice addition to my toolkit.  I already have a USB-A to USB-C cable with a built-in V/A display, and a USB-A to microUSB cable with built-in V/A display but I didn’t have anything for USB-C to USB-C.

The charger shows voltage, amps, time charging, watts, mAh and temperature.

To test the charger out, I tried various things:

- Tested a Choetech and Inateck USB-C PD charger against various devices ( two Chromebooks and a Samsung S9+ ).  I saw a range of voltages from 5V on the S9+ all the way to 15V from my Lenovo Chromebook C330.

- I tested a RAVPower powerbank with my Lenovo Duet.  It was interesting because I was able to have the Duet charge the powerbank, and also have the powerbank charge the Duet.  In both cases, the meter property showed the direction of flow.

- The highest voltage was when I was charging the RAVPower powerbank, it was almost 20V (about 30W) which seems to be the max charging input.

Here are some product pictures:



Test area
Some of my equipment

The MakerHawk shows the USB-C measures,
and the Choetech shows the voltage on the USB-A.


Chromebook Duet is charging the battery pack
(arrow shows current flowing out)

Battery pack is charging the Chromebook Duet
(arrow shows current flowing in)

Here are the main points I noticed about this product:

Easy to use: Just plug it in and use it, nothing special

Reversible: It measures flow in both directions, so you can plug the meter into your charger or the device being charged.

Budget friendly: Very inexpensive little gadget to help you with any testing you need to do.

Bottom line: Neat addition to the toolkit of anyone that is into technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment