Free $10

Join Strike and earn $10 when you sign up and verify your account using my referral code: BQANP2 ( https://invite.strike.me/BQANP2 )

Saturday, September 17, 2022

ENS Subdomains

Earlier this year I wrote a blog post about Web3 identity.  At the time I touched on ENS, but didn't really dive into it much.

I finally decided to register my own ENS name, and one of the features I found pretty cool was the ability to create subdomains.  So let's say you register "example.eth" as your domain.  You could create a subdomain (in the format subdomain.example.eth).  You don't have to pay another registration fee, just a little gas.  You can even assign ownership of a subdomain to another person.

So why would you do this?  Here are a few reasons
  • You can make a .eth subdomain specific to a project ( blokpax.example.eth )
  • You can make a .eth subdomain specific to your Discord ID
  • You can make a .eth subdomain for friends/family
  • You can make a .eth subdomain for each wallet/purpose ( freemint.example.eth, vault.example.eth )
  • Each domain can have a different address and even different controller.
If you already have an ENS domain, you can create a subdomain by doing the following:
  1. Go to ( https://app.ens.domains/ )
  2. Click "My Account" top right
  3. Under either "Registrant" or "Controller" find the domain you want to add a subdomain to and click it.
  4. Click "Subdomains" and click "Add Subdomain"
  5. Put in the name you want and click "Save"
  6. Pay the gas and that is basically it.  You can now manage the subdomain like your main eth domain.
One heads up / warning.  If you get a subdomain from someone else (person or project) just keep in mind they have the ability to take the domain back.

I hope this information is useful!  I will revise/add info if I get any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment