Free $10

Join Strike and earn $10 when you sign up and verify your account using my referral code: BQANP2 ( https://invite.strike.me/BQANP2 )

Sunday, February 19, 2023

FOOWIN Portable 15.6" monitor

I recently purchased a FOOWIN portable 15.6” monitor ( model A02 ) and I decided to post some initial thoughts / tests.

In addition to the monitor itself, it came with a few cables:
  • Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable
  • USB-C to USB-C
  • USB-C to USB-A (for power)
  • USB-C to USB-A female (for keyboard / mouse)
I have most of the cables I would have needed, but having spares is always good and I didn’t have a mini-HDMI to HDMI at all so the inclusion of that cable was really helpful.

The monitor supports video via USB-C and mini-HDMI ports, so I tested a few devices with the monitor.

Test 1 - Connected to Chromebook Duet

I connected the monitor to my Chromebook Duet using a USB-C to USB-C cable (no separate power for the monitor).  Just using the screen worked fine, I did notice a red tint until I changed the color temp from 6500 to 9300.  I tried a YouTube video that played fine, the audio seemed a bit low but still worked.  I tried to play Netflix using the Android app, but no video was displayed however when I tried Netflix via the website it worked fine so it is probably some copy protection thing.

When I connected direct power to the monitor, the brightness increased and I noticed that my Chromebook actually registered that it was being charged slowly which was nice.

Test 2 - Nintendo Switch

I connected the monitor to a Nintendo Switch.  The Switch didn’t have enough power, so I had to also directly power the monitor.  After that, the Switch video came up and the Switch itself showed that it was charging.

Test 3 - Raspberry Pi

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 that is in an Argon ONE v2 case (that has full size HDMI ports).  I was able to use the included HDMI to mini-HDMI cable and it worked fine.  On a later test, I was able to power the monitor and the Pi 4 using a portable battery bank that I had.

Bottom line: The FOOWIN monitor is pretty useful and the included cables makes this a nice little kit.  Just keep in mind there might be limitations on Android apps ability to display video, but otherwise it worked fine for the other scenarios that I tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment