Free $10

Join Strike and earn $10 when you sign up and verify your account using my referral code: BQANP2 ( https://invite.strike.me/BQANP2 )

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Otium adapter with 3-socket cigarette lighter and 4 USB ports - Review

My car has an "always-on" cigarette lighter, but I plan to plug a few things into it and wanted to have it turn on when the car does.  I know I could do a custom setup using a relay and some wiring, but I wanted a quick/easy setup for now.  After digging around online I narrowed in on an Otium adapter that had the following features:
  • 3-Socket cigarette lighter: This was important because I am using a FM transmitter until I decide to replace the radio
  • 4-port USB charger: This will allow my phone, passenger phone and two other devices (one being a dashcam probably)
  • On/off switch: Of course this was the most important aspect
  • Volt meter: This was more of a nifty way to see if the power was on or off, but also would allow me to monitor the voltage.

Once the unit arrived, I unpacked it and took a few pics.  Lately many of my blog posts have been apps/websites so I was looking forward to putting up a hardware post again.

Box

Device - Simple and clean design

3 sockets and 2 USB ports on the front
The red things are where the double sided tape is

Interesting design for the sockets

4 USB ports total (2 front, 2 side)

Next, I took it to the car to test it.  Everything seemed to work fine, and the cigarette lighter powered FM transmitter worked great. 

Installed


Close up, notice the voltage


I need to tidy up the cables at some point

Here are the main points I noticed about this product:

Plenty of ports: The 3 cigarette lighter ports allow you to use items that must plug in directly or have their own adapter, and the 4 USB ports should cover any other devices.

On/off switch: If you have an "always-on" cigarette lighter, then this is a must-have.

Volt meter: This is just a neat way to know the unit is working, and keep an eye on your battery voltage / charging system.

Bottom line: So far I am very happy with this little unit.  I need to see if I can hide the wires and tidy up the install a bit, but I don't plan to use the double sided tape to mount it to anything just because I want to avoid residue being left behind if I remove it.   I will update this post if needed as I continue to use this adapter.

Otium Product Page
Amazon Product Page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07169DMHM/

No comments:

Post a Comment